Layover Shenanigans - Lantau Island

About 3 years ago on a rainy winter evening, I sat down with a cup of warm mint tea and started browsing the web. I came across a picture of Tian Tan Buddha at Lantau Island. I was so awestruck that I kept looking at it for a few minutes. Believe me, the picture itself was so pleasing to look at and it made me feel like I want to go there right away. A few months later, hubby and I wanted to take a vacation. I suggested Lantau Island, but the ticket prices were too high for that destination, and we ended up going somewhere else. Fast forward three years, I was planning a trip to India last thanksgiving. Now, I am the kind who could easily deal with long journeys as long as I get good food, have a good book to read, and some music to listen to. So when I was checking the fares to India, Cathay Pacific had the cheapest deal. The catch was that the trip has long layovers at Hong Kong both ways (15 hours during the inbound flight and 9 hours during the outbound). Then, it struck me that Lantau Island is very close to Hongkong Airport (HKG).  I researched into hotel options and found a good one. I got very excited about the trip. I decided to visit Lantau Island during my 15 hour layover, and then visit Hong Kong city during my 9 hour layover.




This is the picture that got me all excited about the place. 






My flight landed in HKG at 6:30 AM. I withdrew 1000 HKD (Close to $130 USD) from the airport's ATM. After a long wait in the customs, I finally got out. I decided to rent a day room (9 AM to 9 PM) at the Regal Airport Hotel. It is connected to the airport with a sky walk. I pre-booked my room before taking the flight. It costed me about 1300 HKD (close to $170 USD).  A free massage is included with the room rent. Since I pre-booked, they had my room ready even though I was an hour early. The room was very cozy and comfortable with good views and sleek interior design. 








This was my cozy bed. I took a warm shower and a nap. 













I ordered some breakfast to my room (it's not included in the room rent). It costed me 140 HKD (close to $18 USD). It was fresh, made to order and very tasty. 


I was all set to explore by 10:00 AM. There are two ways to get to the Tian Tan Buddha (also known as Big Buddha). One is through road, and the other is through a cable car. Normally, the cable car will get you there faster, but there's always a long line to board. Since I have limited time, I decide to take a taxi while going up and then a cable car while coming down. the hotel called a taxi for me and I was dropped off at the Big Buddha. The ride costed me 190 HKD (close to $24 USD). As I was walking towards the Buddha, I came across souvenir stores, cafes, and many more little stores selling different kinds of knick-knacks. I also came across some sculptures along the way.



I also got a glimpse of the side view of Buddha. I must say that it was a very pleasant feeling. 




Once I got there, I see a place across from Buddha where people stand, pray, take pictures and then head to the stairs to go up. 


Looking at those stairs, I thanked myself for wearing comfortable shoes. I started climbing slowly and taking the view in and clicking pictures. 

Ascending....
                                                                                                         Up close.....




There were 6 small statues around Buddha (3 on each side).
Once you get there, there are benches to sit and relax and also there's lot of shade around Buddha. I went around and took in the views. There's a  museum up there, but photography is prohibited. You can see Po Lin Monastery from here. I spent about an hour up here and went down and walked over to the monastery. You can buy incense sticks here and there's a place to make a wish and light this incense. 


There is a temple at the monastery. You can visit and pray. 



As I walk past the temple, I came across the monastery's restaurant. They serve vegetarian food cooked by the monks. I tried some and it was tasty (don's ask me the names of the dishes. I don't remember). 


After the yummy lunch, I strolled around for some more time, took a power nap, and shopped for some souvenirs. Next, I headed towards the gift shop for another view of the Buddha. 

This is what I was treated with. Amazing!!



There are some good restaurants on that side. These restaurants carry non-vegetarian food as well. 


There's a ticket counter right next to the gift shop to pay for the cable car ride. People were already lining up, and the lines were getting longer. You can chose between a regular cable car and a glass bottom cable car. The regular one costs about 130 HKD and the glass bottom one costs 180 HKD. I chose the glass bottom cable car, since there's a separate line for it and also it was a shorter one. The sun was setting as I was leaving, and it looked so beautiful around. 


It was about 5:00 PM and I had my free massage appointment at 6:00. So I walked back to the hotel. I came across a mall on the way, but didn't stop. I was hungry for some snack, so I tasted some dumplings, quail eggs, and roasted chestnuts. I couldn't get a picture of the dumplings, but they were very yummy. 


Back at the hotel, I took a long tub bath, a 30 minute power nap and headed to the spa for my free massage. 

The masseuse did an awesome job on my muscles. All the travel and tourism stress got out of my body and I was very well rested. After the massage, I packed my bags, checked out and headed towards the airport. 

This is the most memorable layover for me. I will write another post for the outbound flight layover. PS: If you are not a self exploring person, there are lot of tours that take your around. Book ahead, because they tend to fill up faster. 

Total cost: 3,500 HKD (close to $450 USD)
Satisfaction: Priceless



Read Users' Comments (0)

0 Response to "Layover Shenanigans - Lantau Island"

Post a Comment